Jump to navigation Jump to search
|This lesson is part of the Rhythm, Meter & Form category.|
- Students will understand the definition of a musical phrase.
- Students will be able to write and analyze melodic sentential and periodic structures, including their subcomponents (basic idea, antecedent/consequent, presentation/continuation, cadential progression)
- Students will be able to identify different types of phrases and multi-phrase structures.
- Students will be able to compare and contrast a phrase to its theoretical template.
- Discussion and definition of phrase analysis
- Phrase analysis of different types of music
- Composition of a phrase type given a specific motive
- Composition and improvisation of a consequent phrase which corresponds to a given antecedent phrase
- Phrase analysis of written and recorded music
- Composition of a consequent phrase for a given antecedent phrase
- Writing of a phrase structure given a specific motive (as basic idea or antecedent)