Minor & Modal Harmony
Jump to navigation Jump to search
|This lesson is part of the Harmony category.|
- Students will be familiar with harmonic characteristics of each diatonic mode.
- Students will understand the harmonic changes which arise from the use of harmonic and melodic minor.
- Optional: Students will become familiar with the modes of the harmonic minor scale for jazz improvisation
- Determination of the diatonic chords for each heptatonic mode, and for harmonic and melodic minor
- Analysis of modal harmony in composition from various styles
- Improvisation and composition of harmonic accompaniment for various modal melodies
- Harmonization of minor and modal melodies
- Roman numeral analysis of minor and modal music (written and recorded)
- Properly inflecting ˆ6 and ˆ7 in a classical minor harmony