Harmonic Progressions & Syntax
Jump to navigation Jump to search
|This lesson is part of the Harmony category.|
- Students will be familiar with the concept of harmonic progression.
- Students will be able to analyze the progression of a musical phrase in different time periods, genres, and modes.
- Students will be able to construct a harmonic progression appropriate to a particular style of music.
- General introduction to different systems of harmonic progression analysis, including McHose, root movements, neo-Riemannian and harmonic aspects of layer analysis (Schenker)
- Exploration of common popular progressions, such as twelve-bar blues and the Pachelbel progression
- Harmonic analysis of musical compositions from differing styles
- Analysis of harmonic progression in written and recorded music
- Composition of a harmonic progression in different styles