Jump to navigation Jump to search
- Students will be familiar with the basic tenets of contrapuntal writing.
- Students will be familiar with the conventions of common-practice period counterpoint.
- Students will be familiar with counterpoint-based forms such as canon and fugue.
- Discussion and definition of the general concept and characteristics of counterpoint
- Summarization of the patterns of 16th- and 18th-century counterpoint
- Discussion of definition of contrapuntal forms like canon, chorale fantasy and fugue
- Analysis of counterpoint in different types of music
- Composition and improvisation of a contrapuntal line against a given melody
- Error detection in written counterpoint for different styles
- Writing a contrapuntal line against a given melody
- Analysis of written and recorded counterpoint